|Online Course||Modern C++ Software Design|
|Date||17.11.2021 – 19.11.2021|
|Price||€ 30.00 – 600.00|
|Registration deadline||03.11.2021 23:55|
"There is no point in developing software unless you care about it doing it well." (Andrew Hunt, David Thomas: The Pragmatic Programmer)
This advanced C++ online training is a course on object-oriented (OO) software design with the C++ programming language. The focus of the training are the essential OO and C++ software development principles, concepts, idioms, and best practices, which enable programmers to create professional, high-quality code. The course will not address special areas and applications of C++, such as for instance Template Meta Programming (TMP), or the quirks and curiosities of the C++ language. It rather teaches guidelines to develop mature, robust, and maintainable C++ code. The following topics will be covered:
Day 1 schedule:
- Concepts and the STL
- Overview of the STL
- Proper use of the STL
- Proper use of algorithms
- Proper use of containers
Day 2 schedule:
- Class Design
- Compiler Generated Functions
- Copy Elision
- Move Semantics
- Return Values and Parameters
- Object Lifetimes
- Member Data
Day 3 schedule:
- Class Design
- Applied Class Design
- Visibility vs. Accessibility
- Dynamic Polymorphism
- Classical Design Patterns Revisited
- Public Inheritance
- Surprises in Object Hierarchies
Contents are subject to modifications.
Solid base on C++ and at least one year of experience with the language is needed.
Participants are expected to use their own machines. Any operating system (Windows, Linux, MacOS, ...), any IDE/editor (MS Visual Studio, CLion, vi, emacs, ...) and any compiler capable of at least C++14 (GCC, Clang, MSVC, ...) can be used. Alternatively it is possible to use a C++ online compiler (e.g. cpp.sh, wandbox.org, repl.it). The programming tasks, including both Makefiles and CMake files, will be distributed before the course.
The content level of the course is broken down as:
After this course, participants ...
- ... will have a detailed understanding of the essential OO design principles
- ... will have gained knowledge about fundamental C++ programming concepts and idioms
- ... will be able to properly design classes and class interfaces
- ... will know about the importance of exception safe programming
- ... will avoid the usual pitfalls in the context of inheritance
- ... will comprehend the advantages of non-intrusive design
- ... will understand the virtue of clean code
Klaus Iglberger (External)
Assistants: Carmen Navarrete (LRZ), Martin Ohlerich (LRZ)
Prices and Eligibility
The course is open for people from academia and industry.
The following categories can be selected during registration:
- [Students without Diploma/Master] Students without Diploma/Master: 30 EUR
- [Academia Germany] Students with Diploma/Master (PhD students) and members of German universities and German public research institutes: 60 EUR
- [Academia EU/PRACE countries] Students with Diploma/Master (PhD students) and members of universities and public research institutes within EU or PRACE member countries: 120 EUR
- [Academia non-EU/PRACE countries] Students with Diploma/Master (PhD students) and members of other universities and public research institutes: 240 EUR
- [Others] Non-academic participants: 600 EUR
Please register with your official e-mail address to prove your affiliation. Following your successful registration, you will receive an invoice approx. 2 weeks before the course. After paying the invoice, you will not receive a receipt. If you require proof of payment (e.g., for reimbursement) please use a copy of the invoice together with your bank statement indicating the payment.
For registration for LRZ courses and workshops we use the service edoobox from Etzensperger Informatik AG (www.edoobox.com). Etzensperger Informatik AG acts as processor and we have concluded a Data Processing Agreement with them.
|1||17.11.2021||10:00 – 17:00||Klaus Iglberger|
|2||18.11.2021||10:00 – 17:00||Klaus Iglberger|
|3||19.11.2021||10:00 – 17:00||Klaus Iglberger|