VPN in the Munich Scientific Network (MWN)
In case you just want to install the VPN-Client, please navigate to: VPN - eduVPN - Installation und Konfiguration
Can I do without VPN? NEW!
You can use some of our services directly without VPN. Nevertheless the connection between your client and the server will be secured.
- E-Mail: Exchange user can access their mails via the web interface https://xmail.mwn.de/ or configure their mail client as explained in E-Mail und Groupware
- Cloud-Storage (nas.ads.mwn.de) can be accessed via a web interface (link: Webdisk ). There you can upload and download your files. You may mount your drive via WebDAV as well, see Benutzerhandbuch Cloud-Storage
- Online access to e-journals, which need a personalised login (TUM: eAccess, LMU: eMedien), can be accessed directly.
- Sophos Antivirus: Since April 2020 you can access Sophos without VPN (see LRZ: Sicherheit + Antivirus )
What is VPN?
VPN stands for “virtual private network”. A VPN can be used to build a secure sub-network over an open, unprotected network (Internet, wireless network). Communication in this sub-network is protected against tapping and access by third-party participants. This is achieved by tunneling the data traffic via a VPN server using data encryption. Connections to this server have to be authenticated when set up.
VPN use in the Munich Scientific Network (MWN)
A VPN connection enables access to various MWN services. You have to establish a VPN connection if you wish to use the following services:
- Access via the WLAN connections in the MWN that are managed by the LRZ
- Use of public connection points for mobile computers in the MWN
- Use of access-restricted, internal MWN services (examples: online journals of the Munich university libraries, remote update of Sophos anti-virus software) via third-party Internet providers or by inhabitants of student halls of residence
To use VPN connections, a valid username and the installation of a client program are required. The VPN server clusters in the MWN supports two protocols, SSL/DTLS with the eduVPN client or AnyConnect client and IPsec with XAUTH with the IPsec client. eduVPN and AnyConnect however use different servers.
Informationen about VPN
- Overview of acces points in the MWN
- Search specific access points
- VPN wall outlets
- Radius Zones (old webserver)
Problems and Questions
eduVPN-Client (use this one)
IPsec Client (special cases)
- Download Cisco IPsec VPN Clientsoftware
- VPN - (IPsec) Windows - Archiv
- VPN - (IPsec) Mac OS X - Archiv
- Cisco IPsec VPN mit dem iPad, iPhone oder iPod Touch (old webserver)
- VPN - Android
- VPN - (IPsec) Symbian - Archiv
- VPN - (IPsec) Blackberry Playbook - Archiv
- VPN - (IPsec) Blackberry OS 10 - Archiv
- VPN - Spezialfälle und alte Anleitungen