If you need a website for your research project, chair, department, or thesis, the serviced web hosting service is probably the right choice. Within the serviced web hosting service, you may host static web pages or PHP-based web applications.
Use of this service is free of charge and is available for members of Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität (LMU), Technische Universität München (TUM), and Bayerische Akademie der Wissenschaften (BAdW).
You may incur additional costs in case you want to get your own second-level domain.
Components of the serviced web hosting service
These are the components of our serviced web hosting service:
- Your website, running on the Apache webserver software
- PHP as a scripting language for dynamic web applications like Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, Mediawiki, or LimeSurvey
- storage space on the file system (see below)
- Configuration options to configure the webserver's behaviour
- MySQL database (optional)
- SSL certificate
- access server:
- access the filesystem via SSH, SCP, SFTP, FTPS, and FTP
- manage your database from the command-line
- create and manage cron jobs (actions that are executed automatically based on a schedule)
- data backup (file system and database)
- logging and statistics
- redundant infrastructure to ensure good performance and availability
- The underlying infrastructure is taken care of by LRZ (operating system, webserver software/Apache, PHP etc.).
If you would like to request a website, you will need to take care of a few things first.
- A functional account is required to host a website with us. It also serves as proof of your permission to receive a website in our hosting environment.
- The domain name for your website.
- Please be aware that most institutions within the MWN (Münchner Wissenschaftsnetz, Munich Academic Network) have their own rules about which domain names you may use, and how to obtain a name.
- Our serviced web hosting service allows you to use your own second-level domain name (e.g. www.mybeautifulsite.com). Using your own second-level domain will incur additional fees, however.
What isn't part of the serviced web hosting service?
- an own IP address for your website
- additional scripting languages like Python or Perl
- pre-installed web applications like Wordpress or TYPO3
- administrator/root access for the operating system
The LRZ web hosting team maintains the web hosting infrastructure and additional components for you, allowing you to concentrate on working on your content. If you choose to install additional software like a content management system, you are responsible for maintaining the software. This means, first and foremost, that you should keep an eye out for updates to your application and regularly install them. Obsolete software may contain programming errors (bugs). Through abusing known bugs, an attacker may:
- unintentionally expose your private data to the outside world, and/or
- disrupt the service of the entire infrastructure (shared web hosting).
Keeping your software current will significantly reduce this risk.
If we become aware that your website may have been compromised, we will take immediate action and take your website down temporarily. We will of course notify you in case this happens (which, luckily, is usually only very rarely).
Some examples for common security breach scenarios:
- A web application has not been updated regularly and now contains a known security vulnerability. An IT-savvy person with malicious intent manages to exploit the vulnerability, taking control of your website and changing it to display illegal content.
- A web application has not been configured correctly (e.g. connection over HTTPS is not enforced) , thereby allowing an attacker to read data that gets sent to and from the website.